Monday, January 19, 2009

So many things to share . . .

it's too much for one post! There's been a lot going on around here (as usual!).

My birthday comes on the heels of Christmas and that's such an inconvenient time. I use that as an excuse to kind of ignore the whole thing. I believe it's less about the whole age thing than it is about my discomfort at being the center of attention. Then there's the fact that it falls in that dead space of time between Christmas and New Year's when everyone is too busy for birthdays. Busy trying to recover from the wild and hectic pace of the previous several weeks and frantically attempting take down Christmas decor and make preparations for New Year's celebrations. Another party?! Groan and roll of the eyes. That's the essence of my birthday.

So . . . you can imagine what a SURPRISE it was when my friend Tammy and my dear future DIL Ashley organized a belated surprise dinner party for me on Friday evening! I remember Tammy saying at one point "You thought you got by that one, didn't you?". Indeed I did. It was a special evening and I was overwhelmed with their thoughtfulness and efforts to make it so nice. Ashley is a warm and intuitive person, always in tune to what is important to you. Believe me, she has brought a whole new level of sentimentality to my son! And Tammy - if you know Tammy, you know she is all about hospitality. Whatever the occasion, her inspiring decor sets a mood and wraps you up in the moment. When you're in her environment she'll have you feeling welcome, happy, warm & fuzzy all at the same time. So when those two put their heads together, it was magical. A beautiful and touching evening. Since it was a surprise I didn't have my camera to catch the balloons, gifts and fun but here at home I took this photo.




This is the beautiful centerpiece they sent home with me. (Eek -- I should have straightened the placemats before taking the pic!)




It's been a long time since I posted any sewing photos too, hasn't it? Well here is that diaper bag I told you I'd been working on, along with a few other baby gift items. This seems to be the season for babies around here.

His daddy operates a septic service.
By now I'm sure you realize the bib is reversible and following photo is the back.


I fell in love with that retro print without knowing how I would ever use it -- this worked perfectly, don't you think? I believe it's a Michael Miller print, I should look to be sure.

I love those frogs, don't you? The embroidery designs were all purchased from Designs by Juju in case anyone is interested. I have a whole library from her, she does great work.

And speaking of babies, it appears that dear Lyndsay Kay (my niece) will be having a little boy, due in May. They have chosen a name; I'll ask for permission to share it sometime soon.

I'll try to get back later in the week with more posts. I have lots more to share including my participation in Project Improv , a tag game with my blogger friend Amy of Park City Girl and a photo I can't believe I took! Like I said, things are rolling around here.

May God's peace and blessings be with you today!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well Happy Belated Birthday! Your creations are great - too bad I'm not having anymore babes :)

Hey Harriet said...

A very happy belated birthday from me to! I love all of your new creations. Very sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing your piece as part of Project Improv. I know of the project from reading about it over at The Silly BooDilly blog. It's such a great idea :)

Victoria said...

Happy belated birthday to you! Your newest projects are so dear! The "I'm a boy" bib is cute, cute, cute!
Looking forward to seeing your improv projects!!

Kiser boys said...

I knew about your surprise birthday party for some time as well! Happy Belated Birthday. Thanks for my birthday gift and card! You are so creative and thoughtful!