Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Salute!

I want to take a moment on this special day to say thank you to all our servicemen and women who with noble hearts place themselves in harm's way each and every day to defend us and our blessed freedoms. A special recognition to some of those near and dear to my heart -- my cousin Joe Pattermann, US Navy; cousins Chris Scott and Elizabeth Kincaide Scott, US Air Force. For our veterans we have known, loved and lost -- including my great uncle Floyd Haas, an ace pilot who died in the skies over Belgium in WWII (yes MM, I will always remember). My uncles Fred Miller, David Miller, Joe Blazer. These and all our military are forever in my heart and prayers.

And then an update on my crazy life. I spent much of Monday in the ER with my father. He has suffered a heart attack and was airlifted to a cardio center. Once there it was determined that he has a 90% blockage but at this point other health issues (ie viability of kidneys and lungs) are such that surgery cannot be performed unless and until he sees some improvement in those areas. So the situation remains. Basically a wait-and-see scenario.

I think situations such as our family has experienced this fall give one great cause for reflection. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I am acutely aware of how very grateful I am for my husband, my children, my sisters, my cousins (who are more like sisters) and my aunt (who is like a second mother). It has been a season of tears and hugs and tender moments. Of quiet and reflective conversations, renewing special and everlasting bonds. I don't know how any of us could be weathering all the storms that this fall has sent our way without each other.

God bless you all where ever you are today.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I agree - it has been a difficult year for our family also. While Rob is my lifesaver I could not do without the support and love of Mom, Deb and Randy. We are all so close and I am thankful every day to have them in my life. I believe it has been the most difficult time of my life but with luck(and of course the Lord's help) I just may weather this storm.