Friday, September 11, 2009

Honoring Their Memory

Remembering that day eight years ago puts a lump in my throat. But it also reminds me of the strength and triumph of the American spirit. And the bonding we felt as a nation. Every year I recall a tearful conversation I had at work with a colleague in New York City. I'd never spoken to him before but we shared tears and prayers. Moving memories . . .


This week has been an eventful one for us. On Tuesday a good friend of my husband's had a very scary accident. He was climbing an aluminum ladder to the roof of his business building when electricity from a main power line five foot away arched from there to his ladder. His son had to knock him from the ladder. He was taken by ambulance to our local hospital then flown out by AirEvac helicopter to a larger hospital in Springfield. He was badly burned but otherwise deemed to be okay. Thank you Lord! And then - can you believe this, on the same day another good friend of my husband's (a young man) had a pacemaker put in. What an emotional week. So, I did the only thing I know how to do to make them feel better - I made cookies . . . and cards! :)

Sunday is my son's birthday. I still can't believe he will be 25! I am so proud him and the person he has become. He is a young man of integrity, compassion, intelligence -- and wit! (Sure didn't get that from me.) Last night we celebrated early by taking him and his darling fiancee out for dinner. Now that our kids are older, we usually give them cash so they can pick out their own gift (his will be binoculars this year) but we also try to come up with some little gifts as well. And I like to try to make something personal when I can. So among other things, my husband had came up with this monster spatula - about 2 ft long.



(Yes, it is laughable but will be good for campfire cooking and he loves that!)




That gave me the idea of making a potholder. I was trying to think of how to personalize it when Ashley reminded me that Sunday night is his night to cook. He looks forward to it all week. Seriously. Don't ask him to dinner on Sunday cause he ain't coming! So here's the pot holder. The back is a cute moose fabric.

And last but not least, his birthday card. Although I can't really take credit for it. I made it, but it was at a stamping party so the ideas, layout and colors were not mine. (Don't tell Kyle though! Even if I didn't tax my brain, it was one of my favorites and special just for him.)

Today is the 2nd birthday of Thacker - my friend Tammy's grandson. Today I will help her and Brandi (Thacker's mom) get ready for the party. A BIG FUN party, they don't do any other kind! So . . .

Happy Birthday to Thacker and Kyle!!! And a happy day to you too.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Janis, so sorry for the rough week, but how wonderful to celebrate your son's 25th! Happy Birthday to him and love to you! xo

Kiser boys said...

And Grayson's birthday too! :)